Once again things that could go wrong, will go wrong.
At least the last two loads out have been that way.
I get a load on Thursday that loads out on Friday, works for us. I actually booked it Thursday but had to wait for the confirmation. We were told two picks out of Wenatchee. Even better, very little travel between picks.
Then the confirmation arrives: one pick in Wenatchee, one pick in Selah…. That’s no where close to Wenatchee. On the phone I go discussing the town difference. OK more money is worked out and a new confirmation is sent over.
So I start calling the shipper to get directions and to confirm the information I have received. I was told it is FCFS (first come, first served). This is not true for either of the picks, oh and by the way, the first pick is now in Tieton, not Selah. Even further away that Selah is from Wenatchee.
So already the trip is not starting off well. So then I confirm the pallet count, 14 in the first place and 7 in the second. Nope that has also changes now it is 2 at the second pick and… He didn’t know how many at the first only that is the bulk of the load.
Now this is where I should have called the broker and said thanks but no thanks. But no, I continue working out the problems. Then I call the broker and tell them the corrections for the load. I was thanked and told to call in the morning if there were any problems.
Famous last words.
So we load up Thursday night and head over for the first pick at 7 am. And we eventually get to a door and they start putting the load on. And more pallets are put in the trailer to the point that we now have 21 pallets in the trailer. We are grumbling a bit but we head over to the scale and proceed right back to the shipper.
They have over loaded the nose and we only have 2000 lbs for the Wenatchee pick.
So while Chris goes in and deals with the warehouse to reload the trailer I get on the phone to the broker and explain to them that we have a problem, the weights are way off and there is only 2000 lbs for the second pick, which works out to less than a pallet.
So the broker I am dealing with has to contact the broker who actually is in charge of this load, not out of this office. Oh, and guess what? She’s out of the office and NO ONE can make a decision.
So we get the load reloaded and head back over to the scale… NOPE!!! Still over on the drives, so back to the shipper we go.
Now we started this at 7am it is now 11:26am and we have an 11:30am in Wenatchee. As the broker I am dealing with calls me back with this response,”My supervisor says to just load what is there and go to Wenatchee and they can deal with it there”.
For me, not the right answer. So I call the shipper and explain to them the situation for both the weight and the appointment. She says she will call me right back, which she did after speaking with the salesman on the load. They cut one pallet in Tieton, reschedule the appointment in Wenatchee, the warehouse unload and reload the trailer one last time and off we go to the second pick.
We get there around 2pm and we have a 3:30 appointment. Chris checks in and tells them that there is roughly 4000 lbs available for their product, which weighs closer to 4800 lbs.
So we wait…
It is 5 o’clock when we get to the dock and the product is loaded and the shipper has told Chris that he had them cut more off the load so it would work. And it did, we came away from there at 79,540 lbs. We are licensed for 80 k lbs so there was a little room left over.
The biggest issue is shippers not knowing their weights and brokers not getting all the information needed to load the truck right the first time. But this is as it is and the trip continues.
We head over to Bethelhem, PA for delivery on Tuesday morning. As we are heading over I am watching the storm that is hammering the East coast. This is the storm that is laying down a lot of snow before Hallowe’en and before all the leaves are off the trees… Are you seeing where this is going?
Yup, wet snow on un-fallen leaves; leaves the tree branches too heavy and they break off and do some real damage.
The power outage that left over three million people without power included the warehouse we were to deliver to. So here is the picture, there are always trucks delivering product to warehouses. If it is a food warehouse chances are good that the deliveries are happening on the weekend as well. The problem is though, without power the trucks become the warehouse. So all the trucks that should have unloaded and reloaded over the weekend were still being received on Tuesday morning when we were scheduled to unload.
The biggest thing is, the broker make a big deal of us being there first thing in the morning. Yea… wasn’t really any point to that as we sat till noon to get off loaded and this made it really hard to get a reload as I had no idea when we would get to the next place and the fact that there were so many trucks int he area there weren’t many loads in the first place and what loads were there were paying very little.
I spent most of the day looking for a load and Chris finally said he was done waiting and I better look somewhere further out and on the way home as that is where we were heading.
Luckily I did find a load that loaded the next day and delivered in Tacoma, but there were ‘some’ deadhead miles involved. Nothing new in this industry.
Next morning we got loaded, spent an hour at the Flying J trying to get the truck weighed and receive the right scale ticket and then headed home.
I think I have some pictures but as I am unable to find the camera (I am sure I put in my bag…) The pictures will have to wait till I get home and send off the next letter.
Maybe it’ll be quicker… then again maybe not.
Once again things that could go wrong, will go wrong.